Sunday, May 9, 2010

May 9, 2010 Sixth Sunday of Easter

“Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come and make our dwelling with him.”

As I watched the kids this week at our Second Annual KidsRelig Funraiser, these words of Jesus whispered in my ear. I watched as pizza was washed down with soda and ice cream was piled high with chocolate syrup and whipped cream. I heard laughter as kids got their faces painted and beat that slow, old deacon in races on the lower parking lot. I eavesdropped on kids saying “goodbye and thanks” to teachers, and parents telling them how much the kids enjoyed the year. I smiled as the Middlers helped the Elementaries to make sundaes (and helped themselves as well), face-painted with real artistry and begged for money with real gusto for our three charities (Friends of Karen, Blythedale Children’s Hospital and Nothing But Nets). I was blown away by the generosity of families, again. (We collected more than $900 in the three days of our Funraiser, which exceeds last year by almost $400.) And, finally, I was touched by the enthusiasm of the kids to do something special for their moms for Mother’s Day. (Today, our three giant Mother's Day Cards, signed by all the kids during the FunRaiser Day, were in the front hall of the Upper Church for all the Moms to see.)

With all of this, I was made to believe once again that if we love Jesus the Father will love us and God will come and hang out with us. How else can I explain our Funraiser except to say that it is a celebration of how God hangs out with us in the love of our parents, our kids and our teachers.

Happy Mother’s Day

from

KidsRelig

.

Deacon Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment