Thursday, May 27, 2010

Memorial Day and the Kids at KidsRelig

Memorial Day 2010! As we have done every year since 1868 when General John Logan’s General Order No. 11 directed that the graves of our fallen heroes be decorated, our Nation will remember all those who have sacrificed their lives that we may live in peace and freedom. In 1915, inspired by Col. John McCrae’s poem In Flanders Fields, Moina Michael began the practice of wearing red poppies on Memorial Day. And in 1922, the VFW became the first veterans’ organization to sell red poppies in support of disabled veterans. Today, artificial red poppies are still sold by the VFW in its Buddy Poppy Program for disabled veterans ( www.vfw.org ).

Memorial Day began as a moment to decorate and remember. And it remains so. But it is also an ongoing challenge to help and support.

At Easter, Barbara Strassburger’s 4th Grade KidsRelig Class collected donations and bought Green Beans Coffee Cards to send to our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan (www.grenbeanscoffee.com )

The troops have sent nearly 50 “Thank You” Notes. Here are just a few I have saved to share with the Parish on Memorial Day:

Mrs. S, I wanted to say thank you to you and your wonderful children for thinking of us here in Iraq and other hot spots in the world. My wife is an educator also and I think teachers are the unsung heroes that we never say thank you too. So, from Iraq I would like to say thank you to you for what you do. To your student's, please pay attention, be respectful and most of all try and have fun and enjoy the freedom that we fight to provide to not only our children but the children around the world. Please be safe this summer and enjoy your time with Mrs. S. Very Respectfully, TSgt Michael Fountain,USAF Camp Stryker, Iraq

Dear Mrs. Ssssssss and her 4th Grade CCD Class, Thank you so much for the cup of coffee and the encouragement. We had a lovely church service this morning in Baghdad and it was a beautiful sunny day. I will work hard to do my job here in Iraq and I hope each of you kids will work hard in CCD. God bless each of you and your families. CW3 Susan Story

I can't say thank you enough, but I will make an attempt in that regard. I applaud the students of Mrs. Sssss's 4th grade CCD class and wish them well. I look forward to enjoying the cup of joe you so kindly provided for me. Many thanks, SSG Russell, Malcolm

Mrs. Strassburger, Thank you so much for the Cup of Joe. Words can not express our gratitude for the effort that you and many Americans do for us each and every day. It truly means a lot. W Jackson

Our unit is the 230th Engineers from Hawaii, we are a National Guard Unit with other attachments from Guam, Samoa, Alaska, Montana, and Pennsylvania. So we are a diverse bunch. I will be sure to share some of my cups with others over here. Akua Ho'omaika'i Oe! (God Bless You) Aloha Ke Akua! (God is Love) Mahalo Nui Loa! (Thank You Very Much) SPC guTing, Tanya "T"

Ms. Strassburger, Thank you so much for the cup of Joe. It is amazing how one cup of Joe can really brighten my day and help keep my spirits up. Please let your CCD class know how much I appreciate their generosity. I am honored to serve our beautiful country we live in Irene Williams.

Mrs. Ssssssss's 4th grade CCD Class, Thank you! This is an awesome gesture and I will enjoy. You guys went out of your way collecting money and making this happen - good job! I work on Victory Base Camp in Baghdad, Iraq, in one of SH former palaces. I will stop by the Green Beans on the way to work this morning and grab my COJ...thanks, guys! LT Brad Tonder (USN)

There are many more. All expressed their appreciation to our Kids and pride in them for taking the time to remember and making the effort to help and support our men and women serving in combat Two pilots will carry United States flags and fly them in honor of Ms. Strassburger's Class.

To all the kids in Ms. Strassburger's Class and to Ms. S, the Parish is proud and grateful for all you did to remember, help and support.

Love,
Deacon Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment